Do You Have Diabetes As I Do?
I suspect that some of you who were diagnosed to be diabetics are scared and feel like your whole world has fallen apart. You are not alone as there are millions of people with the disease.
You are fortunate to be looking at this site where you will get information on coping with this disease as I share my living experience at every stage with you.
I encourage you to seek all the support and encouragement that you can get from friends, relatives and professional support groups including registered dietitians, exercise coaches, and most important of all, your family doctor.
You will learn how to live with diabetes and enjoy your life like everyone else.
Some of you who were diagnosed early are able to maintain control of your condition by following the doctor’s advice of testing your blood sugar daily, eating healthy and exercising regularly.
However, we must remember that everybody‘s situation is different and it might not be so easy for some of us.
An important point to take into consideration is that people develop this problem for different reasons so we have to be patient with each other and not think that it is just a simple thing.
Some individuals are dealing with issues, like stress, that become risk factors for diabetes and would need professional help to cope with the programs and the underlying complications.
During the many years that I have been dealing with issues related to diabetes, I did everything that was expected of me as a wife, mother, and career woman and never considered myself as being sick.
I always told people who wondered why I was carrying on with my life as though nothing was wrong, “I am not sick. I am lucky that I know what is wrong with me and how to control it, but I am worried about the people who have yet to find out what medical problems they might have.”
What About Those of You Who are Wondering if You Have Diabetes?
You can have signs and symptoms and not be aware if you do not know the warning signs. However, this frightening disease can be controlled with adherence to the doctor’s advice and information which you would gather from these notes.
You might be experiencing symptoms that you heard people talk about. They could be the early warning signs of this medical problem, which is so prevalent now and seems to be affecting millions of people of all ages.
You need to seek information and advice from your family doctor who will analyze your feelings and advise you accordingly. Start following all instructions immediately to try to avoid the eventual devastating complications.
A diabetic could live a long and fruitful life if the condition is accepted by the patient who will then have the courage to do what is necessary to go on with life for a very long time.
I was always confused about the information that Type 2 diabetes is mainly because of overweight. I had been at my ideal weight when I was diagnosed and for many years after that.
I am very interested in recent research that discovered a gene that is associated with lean patients who have the problem. Recent findings have also indicated that some people are obese but healthy and diabetes free.
According to EmaxHealth, the research included scientists from all around the world who were able to identify specific modifications near the gene. They were linked to Type 2 diabetes risk for the first time and associated only with lean patients who have the disease.
Just remember that the earlier the condition is diagnosed, the sooner treatment can begin. Therefore, if you are getting that strange feeling, it would be wise to see your doctor as soon as possible.
There is so much information available on this topic at this time but I concentrated on the frequently asked questions. In my simple notes you will read about the types of diabetes and the difference between each type.
You will also see notes on treatments and some of the popular medications that doctors use successfully. Explanations on complications are included.
To help me put things into proper perspective, I did research on reputable websites like The American Diabetes Association, Mayo Clinic, National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse, and Web MD.
I hope that you will be inspired to take the next step and make an appointment to get a medical checkup.
Some of you might be wondering where you can get some simple notes to help you understand what is going on. You have come to the right place.
Medical terminology could sometimes be a deterrent to your appreciation of information that you get on high blood sugar. The big words are a turn off, right? This is why I am sharing my notes and experience as a chronic diabetic with you.
I have been recording my ailments and seeking information that would help me cope with the issues. I took delight in doing this project so that I can place some easy to understand details all in one place. As I go along, I will share my varied experiences with you.
Those of you who have already been diagnosed with this disease could also read my comments and be aware of my life-long experiences with this disease. I hope that you all will take them seriously and do your part to change your lifestyle and try to either reverse the situation or delay the inevitable.
I invite you to click on the topics listed below and read my simple diabetes notes, which are compiled to share my own experience as I struggle to beat the odds and survive over the last 34 years with chronic diabetes and its complications.
My demeanor was puzzlingly positive throughout this time!
I will appreciate your participation on the pages so that we can all try to help other people. If each one of us is able to reach out to at least one person who needed a wake-up call, we would have done a good deed. That would be gratifying!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Diabetes Blog
- The Diabetes Blog keeps you up-to-date with all additions and changes to the Simple-Diabetes-Notes.com website. Subscribe here.
- Diabetes Forum
- A diabetes forum that allows visitors to ask questions, tell their stories, and offer help and advice to other visitors.
- Diabetes Ezines
- These diabetes ezines are designed to relay important basics about diabetes that are frequently ignored.
- About Me
- A diabetic struggling to survive and willing to share experiences in support of people with diabetes.
- Feedback and Contact Form
- A feedback and contact form is included to initiate participation and support on the website.
- Making visitors aware that these diabetes notes do not indicate medical advice but just general information.
- An indication to visitors that their privacy will be protected and that their personally identifiable information will not be abused.
- Types of Diabetes
- Types of diabetes are categorized into three main forms.
- Causes of Diabetes
- Besides the inheritance of affected genes, the two key causes of diabetes are diets high in carbohydrates over a long period, and nutritional deficiencies.
- Diabetes Symptoms
- Diabetes symptoms could go unnoticed for a very long time. By the time some people realize that they have been developing the disease, they may already have complications.
- Diabetes Testing
- Regular diabetes testing is essential for proper management of diabetes so patients should be armed with the knowledge that it is easily administered and is necessary for early treatment.
- Diabetes Complications
- Diabetes complications develop gradually over a period of time when the blood sugar level is consistently higher than normal.
- Diabetes Medications
- Diabetes medications are introduced to the patient when there is enough data to prove that diet, exercise, and attempts at weight maintenance to sustain normal blood sugar levels are not enough.
- Treatments for Diabetes
- Treatments for diabetes are important to get your blood sugar under good control. Together with a program of diet, exercise, and other diabetes medicines, insulin may help improve glucose control.
- Diabetes Diet Information
- Diabetes diet information illustrates that your diabetes diet is simply a healthy eating plan that will help you keep your blood sugar levels controlled.
- Diabetes Recipes
- Incorporating suitable diabetes recipes into the right kind of diet and for your personal needs will help you control your blood glucose levels and lose weight if you need to.
- Preventing Diabetes
- Delaying or preventing diabetes at the inception involves the adoption of a healthy lifestyle that includes a proper diet, increased physical activity, and maintenance of an ideal weight.
- Living With Diabetes
- Living with diabetes can be a struggle but if you get all the facts about the disease, take your treatment and live the required lifestyle with a few restrictions, you can cope with it.
- Diabetes Surgery
- The thought of diabetes surgery can be scary and patients will be worried and fearful of experiencing more problems afterwards. Careful planning and pre-testing will help the patient and physician.
- Charcot Foot
- Charcot Foot, or neuropathic arthropathy, is a condition that causes weakening of the bones in the foot and can occur in people who are experiencing neuropathy or significant nerve damage.
- Diabetes Support Groups
- Diabetes support groups are set up so that diabetics will have a place where they can talk about their experience, discuss medical problems or just talk with other people who have the same challenges.
- Diabetes Related Problems
- There are numerous diabetes related problems mainly because of the effects of the disease on the arteries and nerves all over the body.
- Diabetes Education Material
- Diabetes education material includes collections of data, produced on paper or electronically, and intended to educate the public about every aspect of diabetes and its effects.
- Diabetes Awareness
- Diabetes awareness efforts to improve prevention and management involve targeted education to help people manage the effects of the disease and to prevent others from developing it.
- Site Index
- A page you can click on to help you find topics that are discussed on this website.
- Glossary of Diabetes Words
- A collection of words used on the website with quick explanations.
- Site Build It
- Site Build It makes it easy for anyone, with or without computer skills, to build a personal website for whatever purpose.
- Diabetes News
- Diabetes news gives you access to information published that you miss while involved in other activities. You can also report news that you think other visitors should know about.
- Google Site Search
- This page has the Google site search box where visitors can search for diabetes information on this site and on the worldwide web.
- Useful Medical Links
- My goal is to provide you with links on resources for appropriate information to help you improve your quality of life.
- Research on Diabetes
- Research on diabetes is important in the search for better treatment techniques for all the people who have diabetes and the ones who have yet to find out that they have the disease.
- Blood Glucose Levels
- Blood glucose levels should be kept as close as possible to the medically defined normal range to delay or prevent the progression of the predictable complications which diabetics can experience.